)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide

The Torch of Fair Play and Bonfire of Equality and Democracy

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Sunrise of Liberty Reunion!
Take a look at holiday party!

Forum flaw design

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nibler

Nibler

Forum flaw design Empty
PostSubject: Forum flaw design   Forum flaw design Icon_minitimeFri 12 Aug 2011, 3:12 am

I think it's a serious problem that since I can remember registering to this forum, that other people have the ability to change what people have already posted through quoting. In my opinion this could be a very serious thing, considering if a topic already has several pages I'm not gonna read from the beginning, meaning I won't see the real post. I understand that most misquotes I have seen are for fun, however I bring this up because I HAVE been misquoted in a serious topic (granted this was a while ago, but fact remains). I'd like this to remain a serious topic so if forum admins could please delete any comments even remotely off topic I would appreciate that.

Opinions?
Back to top Go down
Kernow Pilgrim
Legend
Legend
Kernow Pilgrim

Forum flaw design Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum flaw design   Forum flaw design Icon_minitimeFri 12 Aug 2011, 3:29 am

Perhaps the quoter would have to give a reference to from which the quote came from? Then people who need validity can check back.

Quoting has always been an key tool of debate, as you say Nib it just reminds people of what's happened and been said because most people are too lazy to read through the topic.

Your misquote that someone else did on you - Was it intentionally to make it look like you said something completely different or was it an accident that made it look different in argument?

I think thought we haven't had a gratuitous amount of malicious exploitation through this problem, and on the rare event that it happened to you, at least you noticed. Which is always the trump card in case people try to make like you said something you didn't.
Back to top Go down
Nibler

Nibler

Forum flaw design Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum flaw design   Forum flaw design Icon_minitimeFri 12 Aug 2011, 3:40 am

My misquote was done intentionally but that's not the main focus I'd like to draw on. I also don't think SoL has had any malicious intent through quoting either, but even a small change could be enough to take a quote out of context, and the change could be subtle.

Yes, the trump card is the person being quoted, but in a heavily watched topic, where a lot of people quote, I don't check back very often. So by the time I do recognize that I've been quoted the topic could have moved on and me calling someone out would most likely be ignored (because people don't read back from when they post last). It's just a situation, have to look at all possibilities.

Mainly what I'd like to know is why can people change other's posts through quoting, and how difficult would it be to change that?
Back to top Go down
Xasomur

Xasomur

Forum flaw design Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum flaw design   Forum flaw design Icon_minitimeFri 12 Aug 2011, 3:51 am

in fact it is really easy to change it. because this forum uses bb code... (html is already disabled)
so whatever you post is just a text. if you implement bb codes in it, the forum will change the look of your text like the code tells it to be. but in the end the base is just a text with a code. and even if you press the quote button ahead of each post, you still can edit the text as you wish.

basically the code for quoting is [quote="someone"]blabla[/quote]
which will look like this:
somone wrote:
blabla

and if you press the quote button, you can change the "blabla" to whatever you like.

so either we keep the quoting as it is, or we disable ALL bb codes... thats all we can do
Back to top Go down
NickdeClaw
Legend
Legend
NickdeClaw

Forum flaw design Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum flaw design   Forum flaw design Icon_minitimeFri 12 Aug 2011, 5:02 am

I find modification of quotations useful. You can quote just the stuff that's pertinent to your response; you can emphasize it with bold, underline, or italics; and you can make up funny quotes.

Many large companies use the same type of quote system. You can look at it two ways:

1. Quotes should only show exactly what someone said, and it's a bad thing that they can be modified because people can abuse it.
2. Quotes are just a text markup utility, much like bold, italics, or underline, and people should understand that they need to be checked for accuracy for important things because they could have been modified.

I think there are way more benefits to quotes than negatives, and that disabling quotes would have a huge negative impact on debate operation, as well as create a bunch of extra work if we were to go back and reformat all the Council posts, etc. that use quotes.
Back to top Go down
Nibler

Nibler

Forum flaw design Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum flaw design   Forum flaw design Icon_minitimeFri 12 Aug 2011, 6:42 am

I agree, quote modifications are useful but is there no way to just be able to delete certain parts?

I don't see any positives to being able to add words to an already existing quote. Underline and bold are also fine. But I guess there's not really an easy or good way to keep people from adding unwanted things to a quote.

Back to top Go down
Xasomur

Xasomur

Forum flaw design Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum flaw design   Forum flaw design Icon_minitimeFri 12 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

Xasomur wrote:
so either we keep the quoting as it is, or we disable ALL bb codes... thats all we can do

Smile
btw, thx to the way the quoting works on this forum, i was able to delete all the rest of the post in order to show whats important about what i said. because obviously it wasnt recognized before Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Forum flaw design Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum flaw design   Forum flaw design Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forum flaw design
Page 1 of 1