)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide

The Torch of Fair Play and Bonfire of Equality and Democracy

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
JK2 for Number 1!
Let us capture the victory!
A look at the table?
Fun events!
Want to organize an event or any to happen?
Post or ask for help here!
Black Flame!
Enel holds black flame!
Who will face him?
Spring Tournament!
TT Spring 2016 ended! Congrats to Xasomur!
Check results here!
Skin Add ons
Post your skins that you'd like to have!
Find details here!
Council frozen!
Read discussion here!
Check poll result here!

Share | 

Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Samfp

PostSubject: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 7:47 am

Not sure how many people are interested but I thought I’d write a bit about my JK2 history from the start, just a warning - this is a little over 3,400 words; so enjoy!

I used to play JK2 on release when I was 6 or 7, back then I was an absolute scrub at the game and didn’t understand a thing, and probably spent most of my time sat in a server full of bots trying to work out why I was dying. I dropped the game for almost 8 more years, before I rediscovered the disk and worked out how to play it. I joined 1.04 playing on a shitty netbook that ran the game at 15-18fps maximum, with a trackpad. I found that in 2010 I was playing mostly at FY bespin where I would get trashed on a regular basis and had no idea what I was doing. Shortly after getting demolished time after time I set my name to samfp and began to get recognised as a terrible player, this was when Qho, MonkeY’s brother came to my rescue. We began talking and I immediately recognised he was a bad ass motherfucker and he played like a God in comparison to me.

I realised I didn’t have the ability to play FFA and get repeatedly wrecked by the likes of Sumo, Wolla, DevY, Qho, FortY, siny, sanYo, ritual, sithY, slay, entY and many others. I sought safety from the others in duels and Qho kindly taught me the different stances and how to rdfa, ydfa, uppercut and not much else.
Due to school reasons, and being busy, I forgot the game for around 6 weeks, and upon my return my ability slowly progressed and this as when I became more serious and competitive about the game.

As a pro, it was very common to know your place and bow down to any who could kill you, during this period I met a guy called Sanyo who had a bad reputation for killing mindlessly and slaying any pro that passed his crosshair, at this time he was in the top 5 of FFA players, ranking something like: Slayer, Ritual, Siny, Sithy then Sanyo, or so he told me. For some reason the killing must have become too much and he seemed to take a liking to me. He first showed me how to Saberthrow properly and the pull timings, as I’m sure many of you have been taught. He then showed me how to kick but I was absolutely terrible and couldn’t kick for the life of me, let alone pullkick.

So after no less than 7 days of my return I was promptly given a kickscript by Sanyo and also JKbot207, or better known as eVc. I was told that this was the normal of FFA players in Europe, which it was, and thought nothing unusual of it. This was when I learned the core elements of the game such as ST, PK, STPK and how to deal with knockdowns, etc, etc.

During this time activity seemed to be very, very high and there were constantly 20 or more players on the FY and fod# bespin servers. There was insane fighting between the top players and I’m sure if I’d have been wise enough at the time it could have given me great insight in improving my play, even now.
This carried on for some time, and during this period of the next 4 months or so I learnt to cope with laming which you all know I can be an advocate of sometimes. I truly believe it is (whilst brutal) a very good way to better yourself, without having to think about it, or even be taught. FY clan were notorious for trashing everyone irrespective of chatbox or not, regardless of if they asked nicely. In this sense it was literally a choice of either ragequitting, or staying and learning to fight. By this time I had upgraded to an old laptop that was running me at about 60-80 fps which I thought was sufficient. With enough arselicking and endorsement from Qho I was reluctantly accepted into FY (Devy’s remake version, fake or not) and continued to get destroyed time after time as the newbie of the clan.

This did, however, give me a slight break in the sense I was more protected under my first clan’s veil. I remember activity was at a high here and players like veyd, yomuma, devil, and others all appeared to lock horns with different clans for different reasons, which lead to some intense fights that I got to watch or got caught up in. This gave me a real feel for rivalry in JK2 and showed me how beneficial it can be to your skill to have a ‘nemesis’ of sorts. At this point I was maybe 6 or 7 months into my time on Jedi Outcast and found I could at least defend myself to some extent, I had the basics down as mentioned, including running for my life, going for shields, and general escape tactics. Despite this, there were a few people I was able to kill; I seem to remember jj.wicked was my first arch rival, as well as an LKL player called Mysterion. I would fight these two very often and it helped us to spur each other on to be the best amongst ourselves, always lusting after the others blood, with furious flaming included.

By this time, I was safely under the wing of Qho as my first official master, with Sanyo feeding me maybe more helpful tips and information during the quieter times of play, where I would ask questions and he would demonstrate. Qho was helpful in showing me the ropes and the do’s and don’ts of JK2, but he would often be inactive, or be too busy with clan dealings and administration.

As the months passed, I slowly grew stronger and found myself to be clipping the boundaries of being able to survive for more than 30 seconds, and finding that I could kill some players. It was a satisfying feeling knowing that I was better than some individuals, and as players do, I strived for more. I remember in my arrogant ways attempting to rival Qho at one time; It was a close FFA, and I took Qho by surprise, but ultimately my cocky ways showed me that Qho was still the boss. He was impressed by this and was pleased to see my progress, but spoke bitterly of Sanyo and was not an advocate of full-on cheating in the game, understandably, and saw that I had become tainted by the evils of competitive play, and had seen a change in my attitude for what he saw as a change for the worse. I was far ruder and arrogant than I had been during my very early days, and had a mindset only for carnage courtesy of FY and others.

Shortly after this point, the FY clan began to fell apart. Devy left for JKA or for other reasons I am not sure of, and Qho had been left in charge to run the clan. The FY members, maybe 15-20 strong, did not like Qho’s outlook and felt he was trying to copy Devy’s leadership style, which he did not have the skill nor presence to back up. Devy ruled with terror as the sole leader of FY, and was very, very arrogant and forceful. This instilled a sense of fear that is what maybe kept the clan together for so long. As soon as Qho picked up this attitude he was not treated with respect and people slowly left the clan. The clan fell to pieces to the point where Qho had had enough and there were all but about 2-3 members left. The clan was left to me in tatters and I proudly wore my -=]FY[=- Samfp [CL] tags for a long time, not actually caring about it. I made little effort to reconstruct the remnants of the clan.

By this time we were in early 2011, where I was aware of the presence of players like siny, ritual and slayer, but had only viewed them as demi-gods and knew nothing more about them. This was when I first met siny as a friend of Devy’s, after Devy had been training me in the ancient art of laming, where we would raid the server known as ‘SoL’ with various tags and reap havoc and hunt noobs and veterans alike.

Some of you may have known us most prominently with the tags ‘Smith’ on the end, and this is where I learnt a little bit about DS play, and I was shown Devy’s basic gripkick which I enjoyed, but ultimately turned back to LS after having played it for so long. I was grateful to be under Devy’s wing, and as such my arrogance increased furthermore as I was under his protection, with our small gang of me, scorch, kame, devy and grunt, with others allegiance we reigned supreme over the SoL tra$hes of that time, raiding the server as a bloodsport which I can only imagine was aggravating. Having met siny I realised I was far away from the skill level I believed myself to be. I soon realised that I was actually fairly weak without a team surrounding me, and aside from the trash talk I felt I needed to improve vastly to meet the level that I had announced my self to be.

I sought advice from siny, and he gave me a few pointers here and there, alongside Sanyo all the while. I was told great stories by both, of the ‘Golden Years’ of 2006-2008, where players such as Kenny, Wormy, Slay, Sithy and others fought. I listened eagerly all the while and aspired to be able to play in such a way one day. Siny came across as very wise and claimed to see my style as similar to his in many ways. I would nag and nag, and eventually he offered to have me as a Padawan on the condition I could reach a stable 125FPS, which was essential to high-end gameplay.

I whined and waited for a long, long time, never managing to persuade Siny nor improve my FPS; One day, to my sudden realisation, I recalled having a slightly newer laptop when I was younger that I thought was broken. I blew off the dust and fired it up, It would overheat frequently, but after propping it up on various things to keep it cool, and cleaning out the fans, I had reached the 125 FPS I so desperately sought. I flocked to siny with good news and we promptly began my training.
Once more, I was under the guidance and supervision of a player far stronger than me and almost anyone else at that time. This gave me the leeway to understand more about the intricacies of the game, and not be rushed ahead with mindless fighting. Siny was good in many ways as a teacher, he helped me understand the details of red slash sabering, and cave fighting was my strong point for a very long time. He helped me develop advanced tactics that I had otherwise overlooked, and helped me explore the mechanics of the game far better than I had before. Unfortunately, Siny, in my opinion grew a little greedy and wanted to dedicate half of his teaching time to another Padawan he felt he should have. This guy was called Ryu/Ryusen.

Ryu had been my training partner for a number of weeks by now, and we fought in very different ways. At this point I played overly aggressive, and was almost mindless in my constant pushing and pressure against opponents, which sometimes worked in my favour, but also left me playing sloppily, and easily outsmarted; whereas Ryu played extremely defensively and passively, allowing us both to learn from each other in different ways.
Ryu did become Siny’s Padawan alongside me, and in fairness we did some fairly good training, but Siny became reluctant for a multitude of reasons and eventually became complacent in our training after a number of months.

I am not being particularly accurate in my timings by any means but I believe this was around late 2011 – early 2012, or whenever the Great Inactivity of JK2 was; but either way, Siny announced to us all (rit, me, sanyo, ryu) that he was dying of a terminal illness, which I believe was emphysema, from smoking too much. He told us that He could no longer train us for obvious reasons and promptly left, leading us to believe he was due to die or was dying shortly after. This left me very sad to see a great friend I had made (albeit online) become gravely ill. I worried about his welfare and it was a strange feeling to play, when everything felt so unfinished and left in the balance. Ritual, Sanyo and Slayer all told me that this was a lie, and Siny was being dramatic, as he was known to be. I still felt unsure and shortly after Siny left, I left too for around 9 months to a year.

Whilst I felt that Siny’s training was unfinished work and left me asking many questions, I did come to realise and notice that Sanyo all the while, before, during and after, had been training me very well, as ever. He had detailed to me many complexities that players frequently overlook, and really coerced me to understand the technicalities of the game, more-so than I knew was possible at the time. Sanyo taught me how to jump-slash correctly, different strafing methods, the sought after benefits of advanced map control and general in-depth training of many aspects. This helped to strengthen me greatly as a player, and combining both Siny’s knowledge, and his that was passed to him from Slayer I really developed. It is safe to say that before the inactivity I had reached my gameplay peak.

After my fairly long period of inactivity, I logged into Xfire and saw that Sanyo was online, we spoke briefly and met in-game, and our brotherly love was re-established. We noticed that the usual European FFA servers were all gone, and turned our attention to the SoL EU server.

This is where things get a little tricky for a number of reasons, but I will try to detail what happened concisely and fairly. Me and Sanyo sought to reignite the passion we once felt from high intensity gameplay alongside our previous friends and enemies on the Bespin servers; However, what we found at SoL was a relatively untrained and unskilled FFA playerbase, which was disappointing to us.

Whilst SoL members were relentlessly friendly and kind, we did not gain the fulfilment we previously had. From the point of us frequenting the SoL servers, we established an idea of laming and trolling to a fairly big extent. We would join the server and goad members into fights they did not want, interrupt and disturb peace and incessantly lame players of all types. We particularly found great fun in targeting newer or weaker players who perhaps did not have the hardening their seniors had, such as Nick and Xaso. The ‘weaker’ players (how we saw them at the time) I refer to at this point were in particular Zelah, Yodah, Andy, SuperYaku, who gave us the reactions we had seen before from unrelenting laming and trolling. In particular I remember having an argument with Phoenix, which was on my part unfair, but at the time I found great pleasure in aggravating players and reliving the past. Sanyo at first was the advocate of all this wrong-doing, but I shortly followed in his footsteps and together we rained mischief down on the SoL members.

Sometimes it was tiring to lame without reaction, with the intention of encouraging retaliation, and changing the outlook of the clan, but more often than not we were dealt with by administrative measures; commonly receiving bans, kicks, sleeps, none of which we took heed from and continued to be disrespectful and disruptive.
The incident that pinnacled our interruptions was the time when Sanyo was locked into training by and admin whose name escapes me, and then proceeded to lag the server using a jkbot function. Another incident was Zelah’s frustrations with us that was sent to me from member chat to my great amusement. From this point onward I was given a final warning and improved a little, whilst Sanyo continued and received a lengthy ban.

It was a few months after these occurrences that Sanyo and I began to improve our rapport with the clan, as the player-base steadily grew. I became friends with a few members, including Hektor, Zelah, Danek, Cibbi, Monkey and Rach, sometimes Xaso and a few others. This was when I first applied for SoL after gathering some opinions which were generally positive, and soon after made it to recruits.

I was on my best behaviour for a long time and after what seemed like a lifetime made it to Member. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at SoL, and it was a definitive learning curve to me. It helped me understand that there was a different, communal side to the game that was far friendlier and relaxed than I was aware of. I owe the fact that I have calmed down greatly during my time playing JK2 to SoL, and my most rewarding moments were during my time in SoL. I was grateful for the acceptance you guys gave me, despite previous discrepancies and it was nice to be a part of a long-term, well structured clan. Despite the fact I lost a great deal of skill, due to playing less competitively, and handing in the Kickscript and eVc, it didn’t bother me too much as I felt less compelled to be the very best I could be by any means possible. I managed to make it to white flame and also made it to green flame I believe just before I left. I loved battling with Hektor and Enel for the clutch of the Black flame, which gave me the satisfaction of competition that I had found previously, prior to SoL. I enjoyed the out of game community aspect too, and was really the first JK2 Forum I had found myself frequenting.

Shortly after completing my green flame tourney vs Epic, I was offered to be taught by rituaL, should I leave SoL, which was not an offer to be sniffed at. After much thought and a great deal of conflict I thought it best to seek the skill I had sought after before, and I departed my comrades and ranks in SoL to seek further competition. I noticed that there had been an influx of old players coming back to the game, including ritual, siny, boss, killY and many others, and hoped that the experiences I had early on in the game could be recreated. This did happen to an extent and I am glad I went back to that side of the game; However I was, for whatever reason, let down by Ritual and never received the training he had implied I would have should I leave SoL (fly a kite you rit you lemon).
After this, I continued to play with and alongside SoL members, helping people such as Zelah and Enel, and I hope to continue doing so soon. I was also taught during this time NF lessons by Epic, which I had never previously had; opening up a new side to the game I had never considered.
Then I went travelling for a while, which pretty much takes us to where we are today.

I still very much enjoy playing, just with a different outlook, I care far less now about who beats me and who I beat, and I take the game for what it is, as it’s been on the balance of dying out, and bursts of reactivity for the past few years.

I don’t have the longest, nor the most interesting history of JK2, but I’ve played 3-4 years of this game and have enjoyed it thoroughly. It is a unique and interesting game that is endearing in its own way. This took me a little under an hour to write but I felt I should at least put it out there for anyone that may like to know.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Samfp

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 8:19 am

Pro = n oob
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EpicJK2
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 8:23 am

++ That was actually a really interesting read, cheers for taking the time to post it!

Samfp wrote:

I still very much enjoy playing, just with a different outlook, I care far less now about who beats me and who I beat, and I take the game for what it is, as it’s been on the balance of dying out, and bursts of reactivity for the past few years.

This I think is a really good part of it and something I wish more players understood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KingYodah
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 8:24 am

Was good reading, I know about you some time, but your origins were unknown to me. Well yes we have different opinions about some things, but it was still good reading, have some green line to the post

And yes I hope the game will last some more time. Its too cool game

EpicJK2 wrote:
You can always get grapeless seeds

Mai** wrote:
My antivirus had poop up

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zelah

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 8:35 am

Very good read Sam Very Happy ++ I was quite the whiny pro back then... oh the memories xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Xasomur
Legend
Legend

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 10:00 am

top class post. very very interesting and - well written!

my sig is watching your sig O.o
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lelouch

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 11:25 am

I look at this and wonder why I don't put this much effort into my english assignments lol

gj
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raynE
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 12:25 pm

Enjoyed, nice job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Igrom

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 8:50 pm

You rightfully attributed depth to your text; gives much insight into the JK2 community, and into your personal story. I wouldn't have made it under an hour.

PS. See if I can play today, we'll have that rematch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExiDux
Jedi Adept
Jedi Adept

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 9:21 pm

I want to read this, but not today.

My Pixiv profile : http://www.pixiv.com/users/6770765
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hektor

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Fri 29 Aug 2014, 12:26 am

oh... even i read it!!! i wanted to finish mine too...but you wouldnt understand a word... :-\ :-D

gj tho :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KingYodah
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Fri 29 Aug 2014, 12:44 am

Write it in Czech, so everyone except me understand nothing xD

EpicJK2 wrote:
You can always get grapeless seeds

Mai** wrote:
My antivirus had poop up

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExiDux
Jedi Adept
Jedi Adept

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Fri 29 Aug 2014, 12:49 am

Hektor wrote:
i wanted to finish mine too...but you wouldnt understand a word... :-\ :-D

What the hell are you ?
anyways, i would also like to read a Hektor jk2 bio but i doubt it would allow itself to be read.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Bring it dawg !

My Pixiv profile : http://www.pixiv.com/users/6770765
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hektor

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Fri 29 Aug 2014, 6:41 am

My English is trash.. If it was supposed to be in good English it'd take me ages to finish it :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Samfp

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Fri 29 Aug 2014, 7:26 am

Thanks all Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study   Today at 6:41 am

Back to top Go down

Autobiography of Samfp: An in-depth study
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1