)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide

The Torch of Fair Play and Bonfire of Equality and Democracy

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Sunrise of Liberty Reunion!
Take a look at holiday party!

Buying new desktop

Go down 
+5
EpicJK2
Hektor
KingYodah
Xemnas
BlueNinja
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BlueNinja
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
BlueNinja

Buying new desktop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 06 Oct 2014, 1:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

What's going on guys, good news, as some of you may know a large reason of why I stopped being active before is because of my really shitty computer. BUT, I'm planning on buying a new laptop in about a month-2 months from now and I'm open to suggestions on what I should buy. Price range is around 800-900 and I'm planning on buying during Black Friday/ Cyber Monday around that time (huge sales across America, for my European friends that don't know). So I probably have a lot of flexibility when it comes to looking for a purchase. Nothing cutting too close to the 800-900 range as I'm sure i'm going to have to pay taxes, shipping, accessories etc. Thoughts from any of my tech savvy clan mates?

Last edited by BlueNinja on Thu 30 Oct 2014, 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Hektor

Hektor

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 07 Oct 2014, 11:37 am

THE MAIN FEATURE WHICH A LAPTOP SHOULD HAS IS PINK COLOR!!
Back to top Go down
BlueNinja
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
BlueNinja

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 07 Oct 2014, 11:40 am

Hektor wrote:
Having ASUS for 5 years doesn't mean much... It cant run newer games anymore I guess...

LOL that's because it's 5 years old hahaha.

And thank you everyone for the suggestions, i'll look into it. I'm also probably going to buy an external fan for my computer as well, along with a laptop stand.

Btw, good to hear from you Nick, never talked to you much but it's good to see you're still active
Back to top Go down
Hektor

Hektor

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 07 Oct 2014, 11:42 am

BlueNinja wrote:
Hektor wrote:
Having ASUS for 5 years doesn't mean much... It cant run newer games anymore I guess...

LOL that's because it's 5 years old hahaha.

that's what i meant! *Kappa* Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Proballboy

Proballboy

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 07 Oct 2014, 12:03 pm

Hektor wrote:
that's what i meant! *Kappa* Very Happy
(◕‿◕✿):

NickdeClaw wrote:
High end graphics card benchmarks, including for laptop cards:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Just got the Rank 30 one Cool
Back to top Go down
Lelouch

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 07 Oct 2014, 12:17 pm

BlueNinja wrote:
What's going on guys, good news, as some of you may know a large reason of why I stopped being active before is because of my really shitty computer. BUT, I'm planning on buying a new laptop in about a month-2 months from now and I'm open to suggestions on what I should buy. Price range is around 800-900 and I'm planning on buying during Black Friday/ Cyber Monday around that time (huge sales across America, for my European friends that don't know). So I probably have a lot of flexibility when it comes to looking for a purchase. Nothing cutting too close to the 800-900 range as I'm sure i'm going to have to pay taxes, shipping, accessories etc. Thoughts from any of my tech savvy clan mates?

CUBASIAN.
Back to top Go down
NickdeClaw
Legend
Legend
NickdeClaw

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 07 Oct 2014, 1:10 pm

BlueNinja wrote:
Btw, good to hear from you Nick, never talked to you much but it's good to see you're still active
omg I didn't even pay attention to who was posting. HI BLUE IT'S BEEN AWHILE!!!! <3

You can skip the laptop fan, they don't do anything. Razz
The main thing that will prevent overheating is the quality of engineering and manufacturing for the heatsink/fan system in the laptop. You'll have no good way of knowing that until you try it yourself or find in-depth reviews for specific models.

KingYodah wrote:
And about the 5400 vs 7200 rpm. Its big advantage to have 7200 rpm HDD, todays laptops have quite big storage and 7200 rpm disk can provide faster searching through files and doing all the other things you surely know soo... im sticking with those
The capacity of the disk isn't a significant factor in slowing down search speeds. In fact, all other things being equal, a disk with higher data density will search faster than one with lower density. It's complicated by the fact that manufacturers often have to just add extra hard drive platters inside, as opposed to increasing data density on the existing platters. In short, just knowing the capacity gives you no information about the speed; it could be slower or faster depending on how that capacity was implemented.

So bigger drives shouldn't mean you feel like you need to get 7200rpm to compensate. But 7200rpm is obviously faster than 5400rpm. IIRC, the main reason laptops don't use them is because they're louder and they use more battery power. It's rare to see a laptop with a 7200rpm HDD.

Solid state drives are the best option for laptop hard drive performance.
Back to top Go down
KingYodah
Legend
Legend
KingYodah

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 07 Oct 2014, 8:02 pm

NickdeClaw wrote:
it could be slower or faster depending on how that capacity was implemented
Well yes, I was thinking on if HDD is quite big and with lower data density (now when you said it), I was also thinking that 7200rpm disk boots up OS faster, its doing things faster. But again it may be about the in-built density. I read that in some future there would be 500 TB per sq inch density disks based on electron-to-electron particle density (because electron matter is quite dense, 10^6 kg/cm3, you can find such matter in white dwarves, remains of our-sun-size stars), so if such technology would be invented and successfully implemented we would see HDDs with thousands of TBs capacity (couldn't find the link Sad )

NickdeClaw wrote:
The main reason laptops don't use them is because they're louder and they use more battery power. It's rare to see a laptop with a 7200rpm HDD
I have 7200rpm HDD laptop ^^, and its silent Wink
Back to top Go down
BlueNinja
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
BlueNinja

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2014, 12:32 am

Update: Buying a desktop instead lol.

Picked out some parts from a Tiger Direct store to build the computer shortly in the future. What do you guys think of the specs?

motherboard: Asus amd a58ma USB 3
4gb ram
processor: amd fx 8320
hard drive (750gb black): wd75000bpkx
graphics: radeon r9 270x

Recommendations on a monitor?

Back to top Go down
Vader
Sith Warrior
Sith Warrior
Vader

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2014, 1:30 am

Samsung monitor.
(I myself don't have one, but my dad has had his for almost 8 years now).
Back to top Go down
Xemnas
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Xemnas

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2014, 3:59 am

BlueNinja wrote:
Update: Buying a desktop instead lol.

Picked out some parts from a Tiger Direct store to build the computer shortly in the future. What do you guys think of the specs?

motherboard: Asus amd a58ma USB 3
4gb ram
processor: amd fx 8320
hard drive (750gb black): wd75000bpkx
graphics: radeon r9 270x

Recommendations on a monitor?

Crap.
The mainboard is a micro ATX.
I reccomend the normal ATX factor.
Has more power for almost the same price.

THe processor...dunno.
I would say you shld take the 8350 instead.
Its a 8 core with 4GHz.

RAM you shld take 6 GB with at least 1600 of power.

The graphics is a place tu argue about.
Im a fan of the Geforce GTX ones.
Don't have good memories with Radeons.

Plus if you take a GTX youll get the programm Geforce Experience.
It optimizes you games for your system and now with the new update you can even unlock 4k dynamic resolution on keplers.
Means series 500 to 700.
970 and 980 are the new ones with maxwell technique.

Oh and a SSD for the system of course.
and a 1TB drive for your data isnt that expensive ;3
Back to top Go down
NickdeClaw
Legend
Legend
NickdeClaw

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2014, 1:40 pm

Always go with Intel processors for gaming if you can afford it. AMD's multicore model results in more cores, but each core is weaker and the processors use considerably more energy, which makes them run hotter. Most games can only use one or two cores. Old games can only use one core. Since a single Intel core is much stronger than a single AMD core, games that are CPU-limited will often run much better on an Intel processor because they usually can't use all the cores. The only time AMD CPUs are as powerful as Intel CPUs is when an application uses all the cores on both processors. This rarely happens.

The advantage to buying an AMD processor is, of course, price. If you plan on playing GPU-limited games instead of CPU-limited games and you're on a strict budget, a strong AMD processor can be an acceptable choice. But if you can afford to go with Intel or you're going to play CPU-limited games, look for a good Core i5 Intel CPU that is within your price range. If you need help with selection of the CPU and a compatible power supply just ask and I'm happy to help.

Spending $30-50 more on an Intel CPU is well worth the performance benefit in games if you ever play CPU-limited games such as most RTS or MMO games. You WILL see FPS benefits in CPU-limited games going with an Intel processor instead of an AMD processor. You will NOT see FPS benefits in most GPU-limited games going with an Intel processor over a powerful AMD processor, because even the slower AMD cores can keep up with the CPU demands from those games.
Back to top Go down
Xemnas
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Xemnas

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2014, 2:41 pm

Indeed Nick.

But don't get me wrong Very Happy
I suggested the 8350 to him because he had an AMD in mind.
I'd like to drive with intel as well.
For now i have an AMD until i saved the money for a real custom monster.
I even got the casemod done by myself.
Took a hell lot of work to get it to look how i want it.
2-3 months to go ^.^

What do you think of micro ATX form boards?
Back to top Go down
BlueNinja
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
BlueNinja

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Oct 2014, 1:57 am

I have a pretty big budget so I'm open to investigate building an Intel computer. I just didn't know there was much of a difference between Intel and AMD.
Back to top Go down
Xemnas
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Xemnas

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Oct 2014, 2:19 am

What size has this budget.
I could help building one.
Back to top Go down
BlueNinja
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
BlueNinja

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Oct 2014, 12:23 pm

$1,000-$1,200
Back to top Go down
NickdeClaw
Legend
Legend
NickdeClaw

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Oct 2014, 4:17 pm

Xemnas wrote:
No point unless you're getting a mATX case to go with it. They're usually about the same price and they have fewer options. If you want to get a mATX case or you think you might swap the board into a mATX case later down the road, then you could consider it. But otherwise, it's always better to go ATX.
Back to top Go down
Xemnas
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Xemnas

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Oct 2014, 8:41 pm

NickdeClaw wrote:
Xemnas wrote:
it's always better to go ATX.

My opinion Smile
Back to top Go down
BlueNinja
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
BlueNinja

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2014, 1:19 am

Current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/spvillalta/saved/HJG2FT
Back to top Go down
Xemnas
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Xemnas

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2014, 6:21 am

BlueNinja wrote:
Current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/spvillalta/saved/HJG2FT

Thats pretty solid.
I don't know for what kind of games you play as well but this shld actually do for a time.
You can still upgrade anytime Smile

If you throw in another 100 bucks you could get one of the new GTX 970 i think.
Back to top Go down
KingYodah
Legend
Legend
KingYodah

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2014, 6:33 am

Pretty solid, yes. For me the total price 1200-1300 $ looks too much because I can get slightly better (i5 vs i7 CPU) set (laptop though) for like 100-200 dollars cheaper. But that's for my case and my area. Its good you found set you like :3
Back to top Go down
Xemnas
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Xemnas

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2014, 6:39 am

You could save more uf you compare prices at different stores.
Maybe you get an overall save of 100 dollars and there you have the better Gpu Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BlueNinja
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
BlueNinja

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2014, 8:04 am

Yeah once I get my next paycheck i'm gonna start buying parts.
Back to top Go down
NickdeClaw
Legend
Legend
NickdeClaw

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2014, 1:32 pm

Parts look good and the prices look good. I recommend buying from Newegg and Amazon. Be aware that the processor model you've chosen is technically the previous generation (Ivy Bridge), and also it cannot be heavily overclocked due to having a locked multiplier. Intel processor model numbers ending with a K are unlocked and can be more heavily overclocked. If you don't intend to overclock, don't waste money on a K version unless it's only $10 more expensive or something.

The newer generation, Haswell, is only slightly better than Ivy Bridge, so going with Ivy Bridge is fine, especially if the prices are better. If you decided to switch to Haswell, you'd have to make sure you get a different motherboard and you'd also have to make sure the power supply is compatible due to a power feature introduced with Haswell.

Since Ivy Bridge and Haswell perform about the same in desktops, I recomend going with whichever is cheaper. However, Ivy Bridge's Socket 1155 won't be compatible with the upcoming Broadwell architecture that's supposed to be released for desktops later this year. If there were a good chance that you wanted to upgrade to Broadwell and sell your old processor, you'd want to go with Haswell since it uses the newer Socket 1150. People rarely actually upgrade their processors and the one you've chosen should be good for many years, so I only mention it so that you're aware of the option. It's fine to stick with what you've chosen. Haswell/Broadwell's Socket 1150 will themselves be obsolete in two years anyway.

Yodah, are you sure you're including two monitors and a copy of Windows in your assessment of the price? I've always heard that computer parts were more expensive in Europe than in the United States, and all of the prices listed here are average or below average for the quality.
Back to top Go down
Xemnas
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Xemnas

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2014, 2:03 pm

They are way more expensive over here...way more than you think xD

I'd like to get some parts from the US because shiping and the price of the item itself is cheaper...
BUT I would have to pay a heavy price to the customs authoritys wich makes it expensive again...
And if I chose to smuggle it ( just packing it into my luggage without letting the authorities know that i bought it ) I get heavily grounded by the state.
I might even loose my job xD

And still i need parts for my project...and I am in the US multiple times soon...so tempting x.x
But i just can't risk it xD
Will have to save a little longer xD
Back to top Go down
KingYodah
Legend
Legend
KingYodah

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2014, 8:16 pm

@Nick, no I said it was for laptop (1 monitor). In my country and area I can get ASUS 3.4GHz i7 quadcored Haswell, 8 GB DDR3 1666MHz RAM, 2 GB GPU, 7200 rpm HDD (the model I found has also small SSD included) and with OS already on under or around 900€ which is 1140$ which is roughly same budget but I can have it with stronger processor. I don't know what difference this makes because US market in his area is something else than market in my local area or what his preferences are so the prices may be different, I wasn't checking towers sets in my area, I checked laptops because I fancy laptops more since I wanna be portable. His set is decent too though, I am just giving rough example what he could go with if he wanted laptop :3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buying new desktop
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next