)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide

The Torch of Fair Play and Bonfire of Equality and Democracy

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Sunrise of Liberty Reunion!
Take a look at holiday party!

Buying new desktop

Go down 
+5
EpicJK2
Hektor
KingYodah
Xemnas
BlueNinja
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
BlueNinja
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
BlueNinja

Buying new desktop - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 06 Oct 2014, 1:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

What's going on guys, good news, as some of you may know a large reason of why I stopped being active before is because of my really shitty computer. BUT, I'm planning on buying a new laptop in about a month-2 months from now and I'm open to suggestions on what I should buy. Price range is around 800-900 and I'm planning on buying during Black Friday/ Cyber Monday around that time (huge sales across America, for my European friends that don't know). So I probably have a lot of flexibility when it comes to looking for a purchase. Nothing cutting too close to the 800-900 range as I'm sure i'm going to have to pay taxes, shipping, accessories etc. Thoughts from any of my tech savvy clan mates?

Last edited by BlueNinja on Thu 30 Oct 2014, 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
NickdeClaw
Legend
Legend
NickdeClaw

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2014, 10:01 pm

Gotcha. Most laptops wouldn't have a GPU, and the ones that do aren't nearly as powerful as desktop GPUs even if they have the same amount of memory. And there's always the downside that gaming laptops stand a reasonable chance of starting to overheat during gaming as they age.

If we assumed the laptop you found were actually a desktop, without one of the monitors his build is about $1143, so it sounds like the parts in the laptop you found cost about the same as his build, which is good for being in Europe. It's hard to compare desktop and laptop prices directly though since the component quality tends to be very different, and because laptops tend to cost more for the same specs.

For gaming though, i7s offer little to no advantage over i5s. Core i5 processors are definitely the better value. That being said, I still bought an i7. Razz
Back to top Go down
KingYodah
Legend
Legend
KingYodah

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2014, 10:49 pm

For gaming it is still important VRAM and RAM, not really if you have i5 or i7, yes. Regardless of gaming or whatever I fancy i7s more since on this laptop I have such and I am very content with it. I always assumed that i7s provide better performance since they are quad-cored with multi/hyperthreading thus I never looked for anything lower than i7 xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying new desktop   Buying new desktop - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buying new desktop
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3