)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide

The Torch of Fair Play and Bonfire of Equality and Democracy

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Sunrise of Liberty Reunion!
Take a look at holiday party!

Windows 10

Go down 
+3
Xemnas
Lucifer
Vader
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Vader
Sith Warrior
Sith Warrior
Vader

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2015, 2:05 am

So yesterday night, this icon appeared in my taskbar (the one on the far left):
Windows 10 I8oxT

Hover over it and it says "Get Windows 10", right clicking gives a drop down menu. I know that Microsoft was planning on making Windows 10 free, however I wanted to check if this was the real thing. And rest assured it is, since I have checked some sites making recent topics about this as well.
PCWorld Site wrote:
UPDATE: Windows 10 will be available to download July 29, and existing Windows 7 and 8 users can "reserve" their copy today.

I guess the creation of this topic, is to have people talk about it. What scares me the most is:
PCWorld Site wrote:
Once you’ve claimed the upgrade, it's permanent, and Microsoft will keep you updated for the supported lifetime of the device.
Apparently restoring to factory settings won't work, which is quite strange.
Back to top Go down
Lucifer
Legend
Legend
Lucifer

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2015, 3:04 am

well i did it might as well LOL
Back to top Go down
Xemnas
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Xemnas

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2015, 4:36 am

I dont trust this icon.... D:
Back to top Go down
EpicJK2
Legend
Legend
EpicJK2

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2015, 5:35 am

I'll probably pick it up, might be worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
Kameleon

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2015, 8:41 am

Vader wrote:
Apparently restoring to factory settings won't work, which is quite strange.
Take back up of your current system (In case you ever want to recover it), and then should the day arrive, download e.g. Linux Ubuntu to an USB and make it overwrite/take over the entire partition; then use the recovery disc to re-install your old system Razz

At least that would be my best guess ^^ I once had a PC with Vista (Ugh.. And the PC could not even handle that shitty OS anyway xD), which would not allow me to install Windows XP instead for some reason, but then my farther did the Ubuntu thing, which worked like a charm, and installed Windows XP with ease Very Happy

No clue if it would work in this case, but it would be worth a shot Very Happy
Back to top Go down
EpicJK2
Legend
Legend
EpicJK2

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2015, 8:46 am

Lies! I liked Vista :E.
Back to top Go down
ExiDux

ExiDux

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2015, 10:03 am

You could always format your HDD, and re-install another windows.
For the rest i truly feel microsoft screwed over with their current windows crap.
Back to top Go down
Vader
Sith Warrior
Sith Warrior
Vader

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2015, 10:18 am

I know there are ways, but just from reading the post I had thought that perhaps they somehow made it so you couldn't.
Back to top Go down
Lucifer
Legend
Legend
Lucifer

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2015, 4:09 pm

vista is garbage windows 7 is basically the best lol
Back to top Go down
ExiDux

ExiDux

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2015, 4:52 pm

Vader wrote:
I know there are ways, but just from reading the post I had thought that perhaps they somehow made it so you couldn't.

lol, they would have to hack like a madman beyond any legal way to make it impossible to get rid of windows 10 on normal every-day computer hardware.
Back to top Go down
NickdeClaw
Legend
Legend
NickdeClaw

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Jun 2015, 10:55 am

Vader wrote:
PCWorld Site wrote:
Once you’ve claimed the upgrade, it's permanent, and Microsoft will keep you updated for the supported lifetime of the device.
Vader wrote:
I think here they're just saying that it's permanent, as in they won't take it away from you later. You can keep it forever.

You should be able to go back to your previous operating system if you want to. The one thing you want to be careful of here is whether the upgrade invalidates your old Windows 7/8/8.1 product key. As long as the agreement for the Windows 10 upgrade allows you to "roll back" your Windows system to your previous operating system (Microsoft would hope you would only do this due to compatibility reasons), then you should be safe.

I only did a little bit of Googling, but all I found was a Microsoft MVP (forum member, not employee) saying that the update to Windows 10 will not invalidate your old Windows 7/8/8.1 product key. You can read here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/windows-key-after-upgrade-to-10/3692233e-553d-409e-96ac-2a2992207344

It would be better to find a more official stance from Microsoft, perhaps even from the legal agreement during Windows 10 installation. But usually Microsoft is very forgiving and flexible about their product keys. Usually internet activation works many times for the same product key, and even when it doesn't, I've called their activation hotline and they were always very polite and helpful.

So, as long as your product key for your old operating system is still valid, Windows 10 is not permanent if you want to go back. If you use the "Upgrade" option during installation, you can probably roll back Windows 10 to your previous operating system without doing a fresh re-install by utilizing the "Windows.old" folder that is created during upgrading. The forum post I linked discusses how to do that with the "Rollback feature." If you did a fresh install, you would have to do another fresh install of your old operating system. Whether a "Reset to factory defaults" option provided with your computer would work or not depends on the specific implementation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windows 10
Page 1 of 1