)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide

The Torch of Fair Play and Bonfire of Equality and Democracy

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Sunrise of Liberty Reunion!
Take a look at holiday party!

Little basic skin tuto

Go down 
+4
BlueNinja
TheGraanulaarian
Kernow Pilgrim
Ajunta Pall
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ajunta Pall
Legend
Legend
Ajunta Pall

Little basic skin tuto Empty
PostSubject: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 7:02 am

here is a quick tuto for a default model ( no teams ) :

1) Go in base, open assets0.pk3 with winrar/winzip/pakscape, then extract the models/players/***** folder of the skin you want to edit.
2) Go in base/assets0/models/players/******/ and rename ***** to the name of the skin you want to have. For the example we use mickey with chiss
3) Go in base/assets0/models/players/mickey/ and open the file model_default.skin with notepad. You should have this :
Spoiler:

On this file, the line commands tell the game what file ( its location ) is associated with what part of the model. So you want it to lead it to your folder, so you have to replace each chiss by mickey, the name of the folder :

hips,models/players/chiss/boots_hips.tga -> hips,models/players/mickey/boots_hips.tga

and you do that for each line ( DONT TOUCH AT THE STORMTOOPER/CAPS.TGA LINES !!!! )

When that is done you save your file.
then go back in mickey folder, and delete all files with _red or _blue ( to save room, and get the folder more clear ).

4) Now you edit your pics, with gimp or photoshop, what you have ( not paint ^^ ).

5) once that is done, you create a new archive file ( use pakscape, it's better : open pakscape, select new at top left Smile ), select pk3 type at bottom scroll list.
Go in base/assets0, and here select the folder models, copy it, and paste it in pakscape window. Then save in pakscape, with name mickey.pk3 ( DON'T FORGET THE .PK3 !!!! ), in your base folder.

6) Now go in game, and do in console :
model mickey/default

and you got your skin Smile
Back to top Go down
Kernow Pilgrim
Legend
Legend
Kernow Pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 7:48 am

++++++++++++
Back to top Go down
TheGraanulaarian
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
TheGraanulaarian

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 8:06 am

Nice Smile
Back to top Go down
BlueNinja
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
BlueNinja

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeFri 01 Oct 2010, 1:12 pm

If anyone needs help skinning I'll try to rip my face away from studying for a few minutes and help too. (:
Back to top Go down
Boogieman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Boogieman

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 6:03 am

Well aju paint works too in skinning but it makes ur work alot complicated.. and u dont need to extract the files, u can just copy them to the desktop and edit them there and when u are finished u can drag em' to the packscape document and save it as a .pk3 and drag 'n drop it in ya basefolder and viola' u're done.
Back to top Go down
Ajunta Pall
Legend
Legend
Ajunta Pall

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 7:15 am

did i ever say that paint doesn't work ? it's just that you don't have filters, don't have all effects and etc, it just makes an ugly skin.
And where do you copy the files from ? Can you be a bit more clear pls ? i don't really understand ...
Back to top Go down
Boogieman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Boogieman

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 8:26 am

1. you seems to be very used with the PS programs but i can also make handy skins myself with paint, belive me it does work so relax would ya?

2. about the extracting thing. u can just simply mark the files u need and ctrl + c and ctrl + v in the directory u want em' in. no worries man Smile
Back to top Go down
swiftY

swiftY

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 8:36 am

maybe you could tell them how to do custom sounds to go with there skins or shaders?
Back to top Go down
Ajunta Pall
Legend
Legend
Ajunta Pall

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 11:54 am

Boogieman wrote:
1. you seems to be very used with the PS programs but i can also make handy skins myself with paint, belive me it does work so relax would ya?

2. about the extracting thing. u can just simply mark the files u need and ctrl + c and ctrl + v in the directory u want em' in. no worries man Smile

I'm relax lol. I trust you for paint, but why not using grimp or photoshop (btw i do'nt use PS but gimp Razz ), if they can do much better things ?

And, for the pk3, yes you can do that also Smile. it's just that i get used to it, so i showed my was of doing it.
Back to top Go down
Boogieman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Boogieman

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 1:34 am

swiftY wrote:
maybe you could tell them how to do custom sounds to go with there skins or shaders?

I have good knowledge of creating custom sounds for player models and replacements with ingame soundtracks, but unfortunately I don't have any knowledge in shader work.
Back to top Go down
Boogieman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Boogieman

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 1:37 am

Ajunta Pall wrote:
Boogieman wrote:

I'm relax lol. I trust you for paint, but why not using grimp or photoshop (btw i do'nt use PS but gimp Razz ), if they can do much better things ?

And, for the pk3, yes you can do that also Smile. it's just that i get used to it, so i showed my was of doing it.

Mate I were just statuing an example how paint would work for skins and it's handy if to edit the game logos and small textures on a player models torso,hood,trousers, etc. But I am using gimp 2.6 for editing textures. I barely using PS CS 4 or CS 2.
Back to top Go down
Ajunta Pall
Legend
Legend
Ajunta Pall

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 1:42 am

then where is the issue ? Gimp is best ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
swiftY

swiftY

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 1:44 am

i know little about shaders aswell but i have got them to work in my skins
Back to top Go down
Boogieman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Boogieman

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 1:46 am

Yeah gimp is the best editing program in picture editing as I know. I learned to use it in 1 or 2 months and it feels so good to edit all the textures to easy.
Back to top Go down
Ajunta Pall
Legend
Legend
Ajunta Pall

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 1:50 am

swiftY wrote:
i know little about shaders aswell but i have got them to work in my skins

Shaders is the hardest thing about modding in jk2 ^^. There are only a few mappers knowing well shaders, and so on for skinners / modelers. It's already goot to know a bit about them. Me i just suck with that lol.
Back to top Go down
Boogieman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Boogieman

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 1:51 am

I heard the DARK clan has good modders and shader workers. They are also awesome at coding which is part of the modding work for a map. You know all the locations for a trigger, etc.
Back to top Go down
swiftY

swiftY

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 1:52 am

lol well the way i found out was from looking at other skins with shaders i copied the files from them and renamed it and edited it a little.

i tried looking for help with them but had no luck
Back to top Go down
Boogieman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Boogieman

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 1:54 am

My old friends in JKII he learned how the shader work pretty fast. I still has no idea why it's needed for a skin?
Back to top Go down
swiftY

swiftY

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 1:57 am

They arnt needed from what i know but they can improve a skin dramatically

ever seen a skin with kinda like lightning going around the skin thats what a skin shader can do but there are many different effects which can be used i just dont know how
Back to top Go down
Ajunta Pall
Legend
Legend
Ajunta Pall

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 2:02 am

to put glow effects, or others effects like burning ... Have you ever seen the dessan skin all in fire ? It's a shader.

You'll know how a shader works and how to make a good shader only when you'll know all that lol :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

gl ! ( don't say again that shaders are ez roflmao )
Back to top Go down
Boogieman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Boogieman

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 2:03 am

Shaders for maps are very important. The recent editing I've done was about editing the textures and the .map files is connect with the .shader files isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Boogieman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Boogieman

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 2:04 am

Thanks for the link man Razz
Back to top Go down
Ajunta Pall
Legend
Legend
Ajunta Pall

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 2:06 am

rofl not at all, the .shader file is just the list of command lines which build your shader : pics / folders / properties
Back to top Go down
swiftY

swiftY

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 2:17 am

who said they was ez? and thanks for the link ill check it out might learn from it
Back to top Go down
Boogieman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Boogieman

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 2:44 am

Oh so that's how the shaders are strucured?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Little basic skin tuto   Little basic skin tuto Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Little basic skin tuto
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next