)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

)>SoL<(~JK2 Worldwide

The Torch of Fair Play and Bonfire of Equality and Democracy

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in
Sunrise of Liberty Reunion!
Take a look at holiday party!

Internet Questioning

Go down 
+6
Xasomur
raynE
ExiDux
Sanyo
EpicJK2
Vader
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Vader
Sith Warrior
Sith Warrior
Vader

Internet Questioning Empty
PostSubject: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2014, 6:53 am

Someone explain as to why this is:

Internet Questioning 3660062783 This is what I normally have.

Internet Questioning 3660076763 As for this, I have no clue. (My guess is the server is shittier, but closer to me ?)

I am no network genius, but I'm pretty sure a lower ping = better speed..
(There are actually another 3 servers to test from, if anyone is interested)
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
EpicJK2
Legend
Legend
EpicJK2

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2014, 6:59 am

Do you know if your broadband company is doing any tests on the line or at the exchange? Fluxes like that in your speed could suggest some work being done.
Back to top Go down
Vader
Sith Warrior
Sith Warrior
Vader

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2014, 7:04 am

Who knows, but all I know is that something is funky. Since I sometimes lag pretty bad on the EU server but no one else is using any internet except for me. (Another funky thing is that I had even turned off Dropbox in case of any network usage, and it brought my dl speed down by a bit..)

But mind you, those are different servers. (As I said I pretty much have 0 knowledge on networking. So exactly, what would "different server" even mean in this case?)

Edit: I don't even:

Internet Questioning 3660124492
Back to top Go down
Sanyo

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2014, 7:12 am

The ping tells you nothing about your net speed, since its just the time a very small package needs from your pc to the server and back so it just depends on how close the server is and which path it takes.
Back to top Go down
Vader
Sith Warrior
Sith Warrior
Vader

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2014, 7:17 am

Well then I was right, that the server is closer to me, but is shittier since its lower dl speed.
Back to top Go down
ExiDux

ExiDux

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeSat 02 Aug 2014, 4:44 pm

I do not know how speedtest gets you to the servers to test your connection against...
But your signals (in and out) could be passing many nodes / servers as a way of traffic management.
If there is a slower node / server inbetween then your entire internet experience suffers no matter how good or space-aged your connection stats should be.

Back to top Go down
raynE

raynE

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeTue 05 Aug 2014, 1:22 pm

There are a ton of possibilities. I'm not too familiar with Shaw Communications, but some ISP's (such as mine) have (pardon in advance, I've been drinking a bit) allotted amounts of speed given to their clients, if they see you doing things such as torrenting, using a TON (depending on ISP's there are actually soft caps to how much data you can use monthly) of bandwidth (still also from torrenting), and they will do something called throttling (for example, if I pay for 50, and they were to see me torrent, they'd throttle the speed to >insert number here<). However, much more likely there are more people on your connection as it's not only you but everyone in a certain area that shares the bandwidth. Ehm, yeah I hope you get what I just said. The words are starting to phase together.
Back to top Go down
ExiDux

ExiDux

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeTue 05 Aug 2014, 10:26 pm

your words are still clear, at least to me. Smile
its just odd that vader phased out of this topic after starting it.

vader has 3 realistic possibilities now :

Exi ;
- slow distribution nodes / servers inbetween your connections.

Rayne ;
- throttling your connection because the ISP does not like high usage or torrents.
- the connection speed is reaching its limit when everybody else is using the net on the same sub.

edit ;
added nicknames to not accidently run away with the explenation of another.
Back to top Go down
Vader
Sith Warrior
Sith Warrior
Vader

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2014, 2:39 am

Nah, I didn't phase out. xD

If anything its probably a mixture of high usage, and connection limit. I don't have good internet, its the 2nd lowest; up to 25 mb/s dl, up to 2.5 mb/s upload and 250 GB/month transfer.

It's just annoying that I've never seen anything past 15 mb/s dl, or anything past .55 mb/s upload.

Would they still limit, even if only one person is using the internet? (and not high usage) Or is it just limited and go fk yourself. xD
Back to top Go down
EpicJK2
Legend
Legend
EpicJK2

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2014, 2:50 am

Mine is supposed to be 19mb/s download but I rarely get above 12. It depends how close you are to the exchange to what speeds you get. That's if you have exchanges over there, not sure.
Back to top Go down
Xasomur

Xasomur

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2014, 2:57 am

Internet Questioning 3669905803
lol
I remember another topic with such a tests, some years ago, and I had like the worst results of all posters... but now >: D
Back to top Go down
NickdeClaw
Legend
Legend
NickdeClaw

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2014, 6:14 am

Xasomur that download speed is disgusting.
Back to top Go down
ExiDux

ExiDux

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2014, 6:33 am

NickdeClaw wrote:
Xasomur that download speed is disgusting.

He probably cant go much higher than that, i am guessing his network card its limit is going to be around 115 megabits /s. And it is
one hundred percent impossible to download faster then what the computer chips allow. XD

example :
my micro usb wifi receiver is capped at 30 megabits/s.
and my network card (cable lan) somewhere at 100 megabits/s.
--------------------------------

I might correct this on another time because it is a 30 megabits subscription being pulled
down by 3 computers and a digital televison decoder, and a browser acting off to this low amounts.

Internet Questioning 3670344933
Back to top Go down
Reaver

Reaver

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2014, 10:32 am

Internet Questioning 3670757891 Foiled by Xaso!
Back to top Go down
Battledroidlover
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Battledroidlover

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeThu 07 Aug 2014, 7:52 am

I only have 5 MB/s download speed.

*Weeps*
Back to top Go down
Angelis

Angelis

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeThu 07 Aug 2014, 8:17 am

Internet Questioning 3672805623

I think I win.
Back to top Go down
Battledroidlover
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Battledroidlover

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeThu 07 Aug 2014, 9:02 am

STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT LAG THEN ANGEL O_O
Back to top Go down
Angelis

Angelis

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeThu 07 Aug 2014, 10:20 am

Battledroidlover wrote:
STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT LAG THEN ANGEL O_O

I'll COMPLAIN ALL I WANT TO GOOD SIR!!!

xD
Back to top Go down
Vader
Sith Warrior
Sith Warrior
Vader

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeThu 07 Aug 2014, 3:55 pm

Heh, at least this shows I have the worst internet out of the americans. xD
Back to top Go down
ExiDux

ExiDux

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitimeThu 07 Aug 2014, 11:49 pm

Vader wrote:
Heh, at least this shows I have the worst internet out of the Americans. xD

Corrected ;

Vader wrote:
Heh, at least this shows I have the worst internet out of the Canadians. xD

~ Cough, joke... joke...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Internet Questioning   Internet Questioning Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Internet Questioning